Butterfly Floating Window

You may remember the Christmas floating window card from a post back in September 2020.  This time, I thought I’d try it out in portrait layout.  As the acetate panel is larger than in landscape format, it’s a bit flimsy but this problem can be remedied by adding a decorative element on top, joining all three sections together.

My card base was my standard size of 11½” x 4¼”, scored at 5¾.  I then cut off 1½” off the bottom and cut the card base at 1½” after the score line.  I used some (retired) mercury acetate for the window and cut some mats for the small card sections.

For my decorative element, I die cut the SU! Butterfly Beauty dies using white for the base layer and the retired Lovely Lipstick foil for the top layer to really make the butterflies pop.

After dry embossing the green mat layer, I assembled the card base, gluing down the mats and attaching the acetate behind.

I added some layers inside and embossed the envelope flap with the same embossing folder as I’d used on the front of the card.

As I said at the beginning, the card is quite flimsy at this stage so the butterflies need to be adhered to the top and bottom of the card and also to the acetate to give some structure.  I used double sided tape for the acetate and glue for the top and bottom.  My tip for where to place the glue is to position the butterfly face down on the card, roughly where it’s going to be and then you can clearly see which bits can be glued to the card.

The sentiment is from Itty Bitty Birthday and doesn’t quite fit in the Classic Label punch so I had to fussy cut it.  However, I was making two of these cards and was determined not to be beaten so I stamped the sentiment again, this time stamping one word at a time and… ta-da!… it can now be punched out with the Classic Label punch.

Images © 2021 Stampin’ Up!

A Whaley Good Birthday

I really like the Whale of a Time DSP from Stampin’ Up! It makes it very simple to create a stunning background for cards. However, to avoid it looking like I’d just stuck a bit of paper on my card, I cut my DSP into panels and matted them.

Using the coordinating punch, I cut out a whale and glued it onto a whale cut from navy card to give more stability.

I heat embossed my sentiments in silver and also added the bubbles on the centre panel above where the whale would be.

The inside sentiment is from the Whale Done stamp set together with the shoal of fish, which I also stamped on the envelope.

The final job was to assemble the various elements.  The panels were glued onto the card base and I added foam behind the whale and the sentiments for some dimension.

Images © 2021 Stampin’ Up!

A Whale of a Time

For the past month, I have been sewing up a storm to complete a set of 12 Days of Christmas ornaments for my Mum’s birthday.  This is the 4th set of these ornaments I’ve made (see post from April 2019) and usually, they take me about 3 months to make (at a leisurely pace!) so making these in 4 weeks was quite a challenge.  I decided to make them in a limited colour palette to give the cohesive look of a set, choosing felt in two shades of red, green and grey together with white and gold.  The embroidery was done in coordinating threads. Here’s the finished set.

1-4: Partridge and Pear, Turtle Dove, French Hen and Calling Bird
5-8: Gold Ring, Goose-a-laying and her egg, Swan-a-swimming and Maid Milking
9-12: Drummer, Piper, Lady Dancing and Lord-a-leaping and a bonus heart!

My Mum’s Christmas tree is only diddy and would be overpowered by these ornaments so I got her a twig tree for displaying these.  I’m really hoping Mum will like them.

For the birthday card, I used the Stampin’ Up! Whale Done and Whale of a Time DSP to make a shaker card.  First of all, I used the Seabed embossing folder with some vellum to decorate the inside of my card as this looks really pretty against a dark cardbase.

Next, I made the shaker element, using the Whale of a Time sequins.  I covered the top of the frame with some metallic card embossed with the Subtle embossing folder.

The set didn’t have the sentiment that I wanted so I handwrote them onto thin strips of Pretty Peacock card using a white gel pen.  The last job was to add a square of card inside to write on, which I stamped with the tiny fish from the set.

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!