Towards the end of last year, my friend asked me if I would help her with her wedding invitations. I was really honoured to be asked! She and her fiancé didn’t really have any ideas with regard to the style of invitations but that their wedding colour would be purple. After trawling Pinterest to see what is fashionable now, I made 8 invitations for the couple to choose from. Some were stamped, some were from Cricut’s project library and some I designed from scratch. I was so chuffed when they chose my own design.
My design was based on the bride and groom’s initials and an ampersand, all woven together. I used my Cricut to cut these out of purple card and also cut out the initials themselves from silver card.
Since the card would be a gatefold, I wanted a belly band to hold the card closed. This was decorated with a glitter heart and some purple and white ribbon.
The wording for the inside was done on the computer and printed out. After being cut to size, I heat embossed a repeating silver leaf pattern all around the edge.
The envelopes had the same silver leaf embossing to match.
The back of each gate was covered with a piece of velum and the initials glued onto the front.
It was quite a nerve-wracking experience making these invitations – even more so than when Mr L and I made our own – I don’t think I’ll be going into the wedding invitations business any time soon!! However, I love the fact that the bride and groom have their very own unique and personal invitations to send to their guests. And that makes me happy! 😊
I love making cards for a special occasion so when Mr L requested a card for his friend who had just got engaged, I went straight to work. Hearts are perfect for engagement and anniversary cards so I used the Stampin’ Up Detailed Hearts Die (now retired), which is great for 2 for 1 cards as you can use the frame on one card and the hearts on another!
To begin, I added a sheet of Stick-It adhesive to the pink card and cut two using the die. The adhesive makes it much easier to stick down thin die-cuts like this but before doing so, I glued one on top of the other to give a stacked look.
Next, I adhered this onto the card base and inlaid some white hearts (left over from a previous use of this die!) to give a pop. I also stamped the sentiment.
As there were a LOT of self-adhesive hearts created by the two die-cuts, I used some for the card liner and envelope.
For the final assembly, I popped the sentiment up on foam squares and added a few pearl accents for understated bling – can bling be understated??!
With the plethora of pink hearts, I used the frame to stick these in place on another card base. I could have not used the frame since I filled in some gaps later anyway. I added a few white and grey hearts for added interest.
Once I took away the frame, there were a few gaps so I added a few hearts popped up on foam tape.
The final touches were a silver heat embossed sentiment and some rhinestones for a modern anniversary card.
I’ve been binge watching fancy fold card videos on YouTube lately. A fancy fold definitely adds a bit of WOW! to a card. They usually take a little longer to make but are worth the effort. This card was made using Sam Calcott’s (of Mixed Up Craft fame) tutorial. Her instructions are really clear and easy to follow.
My theme for this week’s card was a 60th birthday for my friend. She’s a fun, bubbly and stylish lady so I wanted the same kind of feel for her card.
To begin, I wanted a black and white striped background. I only had skinny striped paper so I drew some deliberately wonky lines with my black marker pen and coloured them in, several times, to give a rich black colour.
Next, using my Cricut, I cut my sentiment from black and gold vinyl and stuck it onto the panel. I added some gold dots in the corners where I would later add the decorative elements.
For the decorative elements, I used Stampin’ Up! Dressed To Impress stamps. I added a layer of Glossy Accents to the perfume bottle to resemble glass.
Now for the inside. First, I added some decorative panels to the card base.
Then it was time for the mechanism. It looks really complicated and would be tricky to explain on paper (screen?!) but Sam explains it really well in her video so I urge you to watch that. I couldn’t decide what to put on the 4 panels inside until I realised that BIRTHDAY has 8 letters! There wasn’t room for ‘Happy’ so I added in some small panels to the top of the 1st panel and bottom of the 4th panel for the ‘Happy’ and ‘Katie’ to personalise the card. I trialled about 4 small panels until I got ones that were the right size and didn’t drag on card as it opened and closed.
The final job was to glue the front panel into the card base and add some gold-coloured gems for extra pizzazz.
This was such a fun card to make and I think it definitely has the WOW! factor I was after. Here’s a short clip of my card in action.