Coffee or Cocktails?

Mr L gave me the idea for this week’s card where sometimes, a coffee just won’t cut it! In the Nothing’s Better Than stamp set, there are lots of fun little phrases to pair with the main words but none that quite say this.  I first tried doing small lettering like the stamps but the big, bold lettering worked better for the feel of the card.

I used the Love You More Than dies and wanted my focal words to stand out on a background.  For the words, I blended Misty Moonlight/Smoky Slate and So Saffron/Rococo Rose onto two pieces of white card. For the black backgrounds, I drew around the outside of the die and fussy cut.

The black halo really helps the words have drama!

Next, using my grid paper, I experimented with wording layouts and styles, eventually choosing a plain, bold style.  I transferred this onto vellum before transferring onto the card using my light box.

To finish, I stamped the coffee cup and cocktail glass, colouring with the same inks and die cutting, then adhering to the card.  The words were raised on foam adhesive.

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!

Holy Crap!

A very dear friend of mine had a milestone birthday recently so I wanted to make him a special, one-off, kind of a card.  I had a quick surf on Pinterest and saw this idea and knew immediately that it would perfect!

I wanted my ‘bathroom wall’ to comprise 2 parts; a wallpapered top and a wood panelled bottom, so began by selecting some patterned paper for my wallpaper and dry embossing some card for the wood panelling.

Next, I needed to make a miniature toilet roll… like you do. I used a straightened-out paper clip for the holder and glued a small tube of brown card around and bent the wire at 90° either end of the tube.

Actual toilet paper was then cut into strips and glued onto the tube and wound around until I had the desired thickness of toilet roll.

I punched a couple of tiny holes into my wood panelling and inserted the wires, bending and securing them on the reverse side.

The writing was next.  I had planned on using die-cut lettering but all my die sets were too big.  Then, I tried hand lettering but the finish on the paper made the ink patchy.  That left heat embossing.  I used my Stamparatus stamp positioning tool and a ‘test stamp’ to ensure my letters were aligned correctly….

….before heat embossing the lettering onto my ‘wallpaper’ using Versamark ink and silver embossing powder.

I cut the numbers from silver glitter paper and cut 2 circles, one from silver foil card and the other from some mercury acetate as I wanted the circle to look like an ageing mirror.  A couple of brads were poked through to resemble the mirror fittings.

The top layers were mounted, using thin foam adhesive to hide the wires behind, on a mat layer and card-base, the colours of which were taken from the patterned paper.  A thin silver card ‘dado rail’ finished off the join.

Lastly, I had to make a box rather than an envelope for the card so the toilet roll didn’t get squashed.

I think this card and the bottle of anti-ageing moisturiser gave him a laugh!

 

A Week of Firsts

Here we are at the end of the 4th week of lockdown in the UK and it’s presented me with a few firsts.  My first new experience was to cut Mr L’s hair! Now, I’ve never cut anyone’s hair before but I’ve watched our hairdresser cut Mr L’s hair many times.  She makes it look so easy.  It isn’t!  It took me a while but we got there in the end and Mr L still has both ears!

#covidhaircut

My second ‘first’ was to attempt to make naan breads.  I’d made my favourite dhal recipe when I noticed a naan bread recipe in the same book and, since we had all the ingredients, I though I’d have a bash.  They were not quite like the restaurant ones but were delicious nonetheless.

My third ‘first’ was an introduction to a technique called Inlaid Embossing.  Amanda (from Inspiring Inkin’) showed this on her Facebook crafting group this week and it looked interesting.

To begin, I used the ½”, ¾” and 1” circle punches to cut a mix of circles in 3 coordinating colours.

These were glued randomly onto my mat layer and any overhanging edges trimmed off.

I then put the pieces into embossing folders and ran them through the Big Shot to create a textured background.

I didn’t want to overwhelm the background as that was the main feature so I used some polka dot ribbon and a butterfly from Stampin’ Up! Butterfly Gala.

My second card featured burlap ribbon and a tree from Rooted in Nature.

 

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!