Expanding Accordion Card

As I mentioned earlier in the year, I have several ‘big’ birthdays this year, one of which was my father-in-law’s 70th.  If you ask most card makers, the consensus will be that cards for blokes are difficult – I am no different!  My FIL is a very practical man and builds models (designed by him and printed on his 3D printer) so I figured he’d appreciate an interactive card.  I saw this video by Sam Calcott on YouTube and thought it’d be perfect for him. At the end, I’ve linked to Sam’s blog which has all the dimensions.

My card was to be a 5” x 7” so I trimmed 2 pieces of A4 card to 7” deep and scored them at 5” and then at ¾” intervals, trimming the last section off one panel.  These were then glued together using the small section as the glue tab. The number of folds can be adjusted depending on the number of spaces required for the sentiment, for example ‘CHRISTMAS’ would need an insert to give 9 mountain folds.

Next, I cut my mats and layers for the flip panels and large panels for the front and back of the card.  I used some dies to cut out the letters and numbers and my Cricut to cut the decoration for the front panel and inside from vinyl.

Now for the assembly! My top tip is the top row letters need to be on the right-hand side of the flip panel and the bottom row on the left.  Ask me how I know this!!!  After assembling each of the panels, the top row is glued onto the left side of the mountain fold and the bottom row onto the right side.

I transferred my vinyl onto the panels and adhered them to the card.  This card is quite thick so needs a belly band or ribbon to keep it closed.  I’d just had some flowers delivered so I reused the ribbon that came with them. It was secured by glueing it onto the back of the card (under the panel to write on), leaving long enough tails to tie a knot and bow.  I also added a fun little tag.

The outside…

…and the inside!

Here’s the card in action!  Apologies: Mr L struggles a bit with the double knot.

This card doesn’t fit into a normal envelope and it’s also quite heavy so I’d recommend making a box to present it in.

https://mixedupcraft.com/2021/08/23/showstopper-expanding-accordion-cards/

Pop-Up Celebration Card

There are a few ‘big’ birthdays this year (myself included!) so I’ve been trying to think of celebratory cards.  I often use this die set for New Year’s cards and it makes great pop-up cards.

First, I die cut the 3 scenes and added some glitter paper behind the holes for a bit of bling.

For the background to the city, I blended Distress Oxide inks onto white card…

…before stamping and heat embossing the fireworks from My Favourite Things ‘Fireworks’ stamp set.

Next, I cut the strips to provide the pop-up mechanism and cut out the corresponding sections from the back layer of the city scene.

The other two layers were added and then the whole piece was glued onto the card base.

To neaten the front edge, I added a road.  Here you can see the dimension of the pop-up.

For these pop-up cards, I tend to keep it simple on the front as it’s the inside that’s the main event.

So, here’s the finished card, complete with lampposts!

And a close up.

Slider Pop-Up

This week’s post features a great interactive card, the slider pop-up.  It does what it says on the tin – you slide it and it pops up!  I made this following using a Jennifer McGuire YouTube tutorial for the mechanism and MFT Make A Wish stamps and dies.

First, I cut my card base and layers.  My white layer is the same size as the card front and the checked DSP is ⅜” smaller.  Into the white and checked pieces, I cut a flap, that will be the pop-up element, using my paper trimmer. Another option for this is to use a rectangle die and partial die cutting.  I scored the remaining side of the rectangle and also across the middle of the flap. I cut a hole in the checked piece to make a frame.

After embossing the sentiment, I glued the check DSP onto the white layer before marking the opening of the flap onto the front of the card base. 

This line is to show where to stamp the inside element.  I went for a fun phrase that I had to mask.  The sentiment is quite wide so I stamped in sections, masking out the parts I didn’t want using post-it notes.

The next job was to finish the card front.  I die cut some candles from fancy paper which I glued to white card candles to make them sturdy.  The candles were completed by adding yellow flames and small hearts for the base of the flame.  The centre candles were only glued to the portion of the flap below the fold line to allow them to pop-up.  I also added another sentiment on a flagged banner, only attached to the central candles.

Next was to make the pull tab for the pop up.  This is a piece of card ¾” wider than the window opening and slightly longer than the card, scored at ½” along one of the short edges.  I marked the width of the window opening and trimmed the excess card on the corners of the folded section, then applied adhesive and glued this onto the back of the front flap.

The pull tab is on the left and the folding pop-up section is on the right

Once the slider tab is pulled, some of the tab will be visible so can be decorated.  I stamped some more candles on this, rounded the corners and wrote ‘PULL’ on the top. 

Whilst I was stamping candles, I stamped one on the envelope and onto the card liner.

The final stage is to assemble the card.  Jennifer uses foam tape but I didn’t have any so I applied 3 layers of adhesive tape which seemed enough to create the channel for the tab to slide through.

Here is the finished card…

And when the slide is pulled…