This week, my sister and brother-in-law moved from 120 miles away to ‘cup-of-tea distance’ (7 miles) away! I haven’t lived this close to my sister for just over 30 years so I’m very happy indeed to have her nearby again. This week’s post is the new home card that I made for them.
To begin, I cut a house from the Home Together die set a couple of times together with a panel to fit behind the heart hole. I glued these layers together and added a red glitter heart into the hole.
Next was my background and I used the Detailed Hearts die. I cut one in white and another in Smoky Slate as I wanted to inlay some of the hearts with white and grey. This die cuts out loads of hearts – handy for a shaker card!
My greeting was next. I have no ‘new home’ sentiment stamps and the home related ones I do have say Congrats. Eugh! – I hate Congrats!! So, I’d have to make my own. I wanted to say ‘Happy New Home’ so I used the happy from a happy birthday die. A quick tip for die cutting. I’ve had this die for many years. The more modern dies seem to release easier but this one holds on to the card so well that the cut-out often rips when trying to get it out of the die. If you have dies like this, add a layer of wax paper between the die and the card and it will release much easier.
For my sentiment panel, I cut out a small rectangle, rounded the corners, adhered the glitter ‘happy’ and then wrote in ‘new home’. I then glued the house onto the rectangle.
The heart panel was mounted onto a grey card base and the sentiment popped up on foam dimensionals with some silver thread underneath.
This week’s project is a fun card, giving a little surprise to the recipient. When the card is opened, the snowflake spins around. Of course, it doesn’t have to be a spinning snowflake, you can use any shape. I include a star shaped card at the end which looks really cool!
To begin, I cut the aperture from the card base and layers. To get them to line up perfectly, I layered the pieces without gluing, placed my circle die and held them all in place with a post-it note for running through the Big Shot. The card base didn’t cut through as there were too many layers but it did leave an impression so I knew where to put the die the second time around.
Next, I stamped my snowflake images and cut them out. They seemed a little flimsy for my purpose so I cut another 2 snowflakes from thick Whisper White card and stuck one to the back of each stamped image. I sandwiched a length of beading elastic down the centre of the two snowflakes to make the spinning element. I have also seen people use dental floss or fishing line for the supporting line; I tried embroidery floss to begin with and that didn’t work very well.
I glued the DSP onto the mat layer and then the two ends of elastic were adhered top and bottom of the aperture on the back of the mat layer.
This whole panel was then glued onto the card base, using plenty of strong adhesive at the elastic anchor points.
Using the Snowflake Wishes stamp set, I stamped the liner and my sentiment.
To make it spin for the recipient, just twist the spinner round 4 or 5 times before placing it in the envelope. Here is the finished card in action!
After completing this card, I wanted to see if it would work with a more complex shape so made this one using the Stitched Stars dies and Brightly Gleaming DSP. It did!
Having bought the Snowflake Splendour DSP, I thought I’d better make an effort to use it! The pack handily gives the coordinating colours so it’s easy to choose a colour scheme for your project. I used Balmy Blue and Highland Heather as I like to try some non-traditional Christmas colour schemes for a bit of a change.
First, I die cut a circle of Balmy Blue glimmer paper and Whisper White card. I then cut the snowflake into the glimmer paper using the large snowflake die from So Many Snowflakes and glued this on top of the white circle.
The background was cut from a sheet of the DSP and adhered to the card base.
I use the stamps from Snowflake Wishes to decorate the card liner and envelope and for my greeting.
The last job was to assemble the card, adhering the snowflake element to the top. I could have popped it up on foam dimensionals but left it flat for easier posting.
For my second card, I used Highland Heather and a retired glimmer paper which goes really well with the colours in the Snowflake Splendour DSP.