Blended Bunnies

We don’t usually send many Easter cards but with the mad year we’ve had and not being able to see people in person for so long, it seemed a good way to let people know we’re thinking of them.  Since I don’t have a lot of use for Easter cards, I only have one stamp set and that has been sent to everyone already so I needed some fresh material! Hello Cricut! I found a free SVG file from Craft House, cut out some bunnies and tails and created this card.

Whilst weeding the vinyl and seeing the outline of the bunnies, it occurred to me that I could make a stencil of the bunnies.  So, I created multiple bunnies in Design Space, arranged and sized them for my card and cut out two stencils from acetate – one for the bunnies and one for the tails!

Using my new blending brushes, I added pastel colours to the bunnies through the stencil.

Once the bunnies were complete, I added the tails using white pigment ink.  Unfortunately, this didn’t show up as much as I thought it would so I went over the tails again and added white embossing powder which, when heat set, showed up much better.  Embossing paste would probably work well too.

One of my cards was an ombre and on the other, I tried to colour each bunny separately. Some of the ink did get onto the adjacent bunnies but they still look OK.

Inspired by the bunny stencil, I then made another stencil, this time of Easter eggs and blended the same colours into the gaps.

For added decoration, I used my white gel pen to make simple patterns on the eggs.

This stencil had a nice gap in which to stamp the greeting.

I’m so happy with how these cards turned out and I love the blended pastel colours too!

Another Anniversary

A few weeks ago, Mr L and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at home, unusually for us.  We normally like to go away somewhere sunny for our anniversary but obviously that’s not been an option this year.  We often go to Thailand as we love the food as well as the weather so we celebrated with a Thai takeaway.  It was delicious although not quite the same as eating with your feet in the sand and the sound of waves lapping at the shore.  Oh well, maybe next year.

For my card for Mr L, I used my Cricut.  There was a project in Design Space of a heart shaped jigsaw so I cut out a bunch of these in black and white, together with some purple as this was our wedding colour. I wasn’t quite sure what I was going to do so I cut out plenty so I could play around with them.

After adhering the black frame, I decided to stack the jigsaw pieces but dry embossed the top layer to add some interest without it getting to busy.

The lettering was from black vinyl using the Cricut and stuck onto the card.  Infuriatingly, the transfer tape ripped my card just as I reached the end.  Emergency repairs required! As I had some jigsaw pieces to spare, I cut a couple of these down to cover the corners.  I actually like the card better with the corners on as it complimented the heart shaped focal element.

Mr L’s card to me was a true masterpiece!  He was inspired by the 20th Century Fox logo and used it to sketch out his design and coloured it beautifully with coloured pencils.

I do love receiving his homemade cards!

Lost Socks?

Mr L and I each have separate wash baskets and do our own washing.  Now, one of Mr L’s special skills is losing his socks in the wash.  He always has a selection of odd socks lying on top of his sock drawer so I thought I’d make him this lost sock organiser for a fun birthday present.   Now, as I had left it until the last minute to decide to make this, I couldn’t paint a piece of wood as there wasn’t time for the coats of paint to dry.  So, instead I decided to cover the board with fabric.

First, I cut out my words in heat transfer vinyl.  After a few false starts, namely forgetting to weld the letters so the cursive words came out as a single piece and then forgetting to mirror the cut so the letters would be the correct way round to be stuck on, I finally got the words cut.  I used my cutting mat to align them and ensure they were level before using my Cricut Heat Press to stick them onto the fabric.

The next job was to prepare the board.  I glued two layers of wadding onto the board before gluing my main fabric on top.  Then I tuned the board over, folded in the raw edges and tacked the fabric to the board using my staple gun, pulling the edges taut around the board.

The last job was to mark the locations for the pegs.  I used a heat erasable pen and my T-square ruler for this before attaching the pegs with my hot glue gun.   The advantage of the heat erasable pen is that when my lines turned out to be longer than my pegs, I could easily remove the marks by lightly rubbing the (clean!) hot nozzle of my hot glue gun over the fabric.  I could have used a hot iron too.

Here’s the finished article.  Mr L loves it!  It made him laugh when he opened it, he’s just concerned that it doesn’t have enough pegs!!