Giraffe Birthday Shaker

This card was for my friend who had recently painted a giraffe at her art class.  I’m not capable of drawing a giraffe but it was a good excuse to dig out a stamp set that I’ve not used for a while, Party Animal by W Plus 9.

To form the layers for the card, I die cut some stacking rectangles using Waffle Flower’s Lacy Layers Dies.  Since I wanted a shaker element to the card, I die cut the balloon using the dies that match the stamp set.

The balloon was stamped on the background piece and I added a sentiment from one of the Anita Jeram sets.  I inked around the edge of the balloon to try to give some illusion of 3D form but once the sequins are in, this isn’t obvious so I’d probably skip this step next time.

On the top layer, I stamped one of the giraffes and coloured him with Copic markers.  Using a fine liner, I added a few grassy patches and a string to the balloon tied to the giraffe’s tail.

Rather than use foam strips to form the shaker window, I cut a whole panel from fun foam and cut out the balloon.  This gives a lot more support to the rest of the front panel too.

After adhering a piece of acetate behind the balloon hole on the front panel, I glued the foam onto the back of it.  I then placed a few sequins and a little glitter onto the centre of the balloon, out the way of the edges so they didn’t interfere with the glue, and stuck the front panel on top.  I stamped the other giraffe in the set on the inside of the card and the envelope.

Easter Bunnies

For my Easter cards this year, I used the Anita Jeram Happy Easter stamp set, by Colorado Craft Company and Bunny Friends by Penny Black.  Those bunnies are so cute!

First, after stamping with waterproof ink, I completed the pictures with some watercolour painting.

The card bases are from a pad of pre-scored patterned card.  The polka dots make a fun background for the images.

The watercolour finish was quite muted and I wanted to see how differently they’d look coloured with more intense colours.  I stamped with MFT hybrid ink and also stamped the same image onto some masking paper.  After applying the masking paper, I blended some green ink onto the ground area and used a cloud stencil and blue ink for the sky.  I then removed the masking paper and coloured with my Copic markers.

To extend the scene, I sketched in some silver birch trees on the sides.  You can see the difference in the intensity of colours between the watercolour and the Copic markers.

I did the same masking for these cards and decided on some multi-coloured plant pots for the bunnies.

Lastly, I made some milk carton style boxes to house the Easter goodies.  The panels were decorated with gingham patterned paper and the recipient’s initial, some bunny ears, made with oval die cuts, and a bow, made using Avery Elle Wonky Bow die.

Sending Love

Following a tidy up of my craft room, I realised that I have so many stamp sets and dies that I bought ages ago that have been either rarely, or never, used so I’m making an effort to give them some love.  This week’s post features a first outing for the Lawn Fawn Love Letters stamp set.

To create a background of envelopes, I had in mind that I’d do it with my stamp positioner.  However, on starting using that, it was clear that it was going to be a complete faff so I just stamped them free hand instead.  I used MFT Hybrid ink as it’s Copic-friendly.

I coloured the hearts in a rainbow pattern with my Copic markers.  For some accent pieces, I stamped and fussy cut some envelopes and a sentiment from Lawn Fawn Happy Happy Happy.

The sentiment was mounted onto two of the envelopes and popped up on foam tape.

To finish, the other two accent envelopes were adhered using foam squares and an enamel heart embellishment added to the open envelope.  A little blob of clear Nuvo Drops was added to each heart to finish and the panel mounted onto a black mat and a red card base.