Expanding Accordion Card

As I mentioned earlier in the year, I have several ‘big’ birthdays this year, one of which was my father-in-law’s 70th.  If you ask most card makers, the consensus will be that cards for blokes are difficult – I am no different!  My FIL is a very practical man and builds models (designed by him and printed on his 3D printer) so I figured he’d appreciate an interactive card.  I saw this video by Sam Calcott on YouTube and thought it’d be perfect for him. At the end, I’ve linked to Sam’s blog which has all the dimensions.

My card was to be a 5” x 7” so I trimmed 2 pieces of A4 card to 7” deep and scored them at 5” and then at ¾” intervals, trimming the last section off one panel.  These were then glued together using the small section as the glue tab. The number of folds can be adjusted depending on the number of spaces required for the sentiment, for example ‘CHRISTMAS’ would need an insert to give 9 mountain folds.

Next, I cut my mats and layers for the flip panels and large panels for the front and back of the card.  I used some dies to cut out the letters and numbers and my Cricut to cut the decoration for the front panel and inside from vinyl.

Now for the assembly! My top tip is the top row letters need to be on the right-hand side of the flip panel and the bottom row on the left.  Ask me how I know this!!!  After assembling each of the panels, the top row is glued onto the left side of the mountain fold and the bottom row onto the right side.

I transferred my vinyl onto the panels and adhered them to the card.  This card is quite thick so needs a belly band or ribbon to keep it closed.  I’d just had some flowers delivered so I reused the ribbon that came with them. It was secured by glueing it onto the back of the card (under the panel to write on), leaving long enough tails to tie a knot and bow.  I also added a fun little tag.

The outside…

…and the inside!

Here’s the card in action!  Apologies: Mr L struggles a bit with the double knot.

This card doesn’t fit into a normal envelope and it’s also quite heavy so I’d recommend making a box to present it in.

https://mixedupcraft.com/2021/08/23/showstopper-expanding-accordion-cards/

Pressed Backgrounds

As I’ve mentioned previously, I’ve been suffering from a loss of mojo recently.  This is due to being ill and I am now awaiting surgery.  Now that I’ve got my head around what’s wrong and how it’s going to be fixed, I actually feel like creating something again.  I’ve read that making backgrounds can prompt some creative inspiration so I got out my gel press and got inky!

The gel press is new to me so I’m still learning what to do with it.  I began by applying some Oxide ink onto the gel plate with my brayer and then splattered on some Brusho (mixed with water). 

After this, it’s simply a case of laying the card onto the press and rubbing over it to transfer the ink and paint.  Before printing, patterns can be added by using stencils, stamping onto the plate or even pressing a leaf from the garden onto the plate.  Every press is a surprise – you never know what you’re going to get!

I cut the pieces down to 9cm x 20cm panels to make slimline cards and began stamping. I used a selection of stamps from Lavinia Stamps.

For these two, I masked some ground and hills.  Despite them being more or less the same design, they look so different due to the backgrounds.

This collection was made with an inked background.  The sun was made by belding a little ink around a mask.

The backgrounds on these are made with Brusho, again printed using the gel press.

To finish, I added some Nuvo Drops for some subtle bling.

Patient Puss

Like me, my sister is a big fan of cats so, when it came to making a card for her birthday, it called for another outing for Mooch (Lavinia stamps). I’d recently bought a gel press plate for making backgrounds using mixed media so this was a first outing for that – and for me using it!

To begin, I brayered some Distress Oxide inks in Weathered Wood and Duck Egg onto the gel plate, spritzed with a little water, then pressed my card onto the plate.  This would colour the moon.  Next, I applied a selection of pink and purple Oxides onto the gel plate, added an acetate circle to mask the area for the moon, spritzed with water again and then pressed the card onto the plate.

I wanted the cat to be highlighted by the moon so decided to have him sitting on a wall, made using a brickwork stencil, and then stamped Mooch on top.

The final stage was framing the scene which I did with Dandelion and Thistle silhouette stamps, also from Lavinia.  I then used the Feather Leaf stencil to add a little texture to the sky area.  To finish, I added some glitter around the moon and some stars and added some black Nuvo drops onto the silhouettes for subtle reflection from the moon.

To finish the card, I used an 8” x 8” card base and added a black mat to both my topper and the decorative layer beneath.  This was just a piece of white card that I blended the same purple and pink Oxide inks onto and then added the Feather Leaf stencil to coordinate with the topper.

The other thing I made for my sister was a cat themed cake.  I saw this idea on Facebook ages ago and though I know just the person I can make that for.  It made everyone laugh and nobody refused a slice, despite the subject matter!