Lost Socks?

Mr L and I each have separate wash baskets and do our own washing.  Now, one of Mr L’s special skills is losing his socks in the wash.  He always has a selection of odd socks lying on top of his sock drawer so I thought I’d make him this lost sock organiser for a fun birthday present.   Now, as I had left it until the last minute to decide to make this, I couldn’t paint a piece of wood as there wasn’t time for the coats of paint to dry.  So, instead I decided to cover the board with fabric.

First, I cut out my words in heat transfer vinyl.  After a few false starts, namely forgetting to weld the letters so the cursive words came out as a single piece and then forgetting to mirror the cut so the letters would be the correct way round to be stuck on, I finally got the words cut.  I used my cutting mat to align them and ensure they were level before using my Cricut Heat Press to stick them onto the fabric.

The next job was to prepare the board.  I glued two layers of wadding onto the board before gluing my main fabric on top.  Then I tuned the board over, folded in the raw edges and tacked the fabric to the board using my staple gun, pulling the edges taut around the board.

The last job was to mark the locations for the pegs.  I used a heat erasable pen and my T-square ruler for this before attaching the pegs with my hot glue gun.   The advantage of the heat erasable pen is that when my lines turned out to be longer than my pegs, I could easily remove the marks by lightly rubbing the (clean!) hot nozzle of my hot glue gun over the fabric.  I could have used a hot iron too.

Here’s the finished article.  Mr L loves it!  It made him laugh when he opened it, he’s just concerned that it doesn’t have enough pegs!!

A Whale of a Time

For the past month, I have been sewing up a storm to complete a set of 12 Days of Christmas ornaments for my Mum’s birthday.  This is the 4th set of these ornaments I’ve made (see post from April 2019) and usually, they take me about 3 months to make (at a leisurely pace!) so making these in 4 weeks was quite a challenge.  I decided to make them in a limited colour palette to give the cohesive look of a set, choosing felt in two shades of red, green and grey together with white and gold.  The embroidery was done in coordinating threads. Here’s the finished set.

1-4: Partridge and Pear, Turtle Dove, French Hen and Calling Bird
5-8: Gold Ring, Goose-a-laying and her egg, Swan-a-swimming and Maid Milking
9-12: Drummer, Piper, Lady Dancing and Lord-a-leaping and a bonus heart!

My Mum’s Christmas tree is only diddy and would be overpowered by these ornaments so I got her a twig tree for displaying these.  I’m really hoping Mum will like them.

For the birthday card, I used the Stampin’ Up! Whale Done and Whale of a Time DSP to make a shaker card.  First of all, I used the Seabed embossing folder with some vellum to decorate the inside of my card as this looks really pretty against a dark cardbase.

Next, I made the shaker element, using the Whale of a Time sequins.  I covered the top of the frame with some metallic card embossed with the Subtle embossing folder.

The set didn’t have the sentiment that I wanted so I handwrote them onto thin strips of Pretty Peacock card using a white gel pen.  The last job was to add a square of card inside to write on, which I stamped with the tiny fish from the set.

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!

In The Spotlight

Sometimes you don’t need the whole picture presented to you, just snippets in spotlights.  That was my inspiration for my card this week anyway.  I like the Stampin’ Up! Field of Flowers for silhouette images but I’m not keen on the coloured version so I thought I’d play around with it to see how I could use the coloured stamps on a card using the spotlight technique.

I began by stamping the leaves in Mint Macaron and the flowers in Rococo Rose, Highland Heather and So Saffron together with a few dragonflies in Smoky Slate.  Then I used various punches to cut circles to make my spotlights.

Next, I made my background by stamping the sentiment and ink blending a few circles using my sponge daubers and my homemade circle mask.

For the liner and envelope, I punched a circle from a post-it note and stamped the images into the hole so that the image would have a circular shape to mirror the spotlights on the fronts.

Lastly, I assembled the card, gluing some spotlights directly onto the card front and raising some up on foam dimensionals, and adding a few rhinestones.

I’m really happy with the results of my experiment!

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!