Blog Posts

Butterfly Floating Window

You may remember the Christmas floating window card from a post back in September 2020.  This time, I thought I’d try it out in portrait layout.  As the acetate panel is larger than in landscape format, it’s a bit flimsy but this problem can be remedied by adding a decorative element on top, joining all three sections together.

My card base was my standard size of 11½” x 4¼”, scored at 5¾.  I then cut off 1½” off the bottom and cut the card base at 1½” after the score line.  I used some (retired) mercury acetate for the window and cut some mats for the small card sections.

For my decorative element, I die cut the SU! Butterfly Beauty dies using white for the base layer and the retired Lovely Lipstick foil for the top layer to really make the butterflies pop.

After dry embossing the green mat layer, I assembled the card base, gluing down the mats and attaching the acetate behind.

I added some layers inside and embossed the envelope flap with the same embossing folder as I’d used on the front of the card.

As I said at the beginning, the card is quite flimsy at this stage so the butterflies need to be adhered to the top and bottom of the card and also to the acetate to give some structure.  I used double sided tape for the acetate and glue for the top and bottom.  My tip for where to place the glue is to position the butterfly face down on the card, roughly where it’s going to be and then you can clearly see which bits can be glued to the card.

The sentiment is from Itty Bitty Birthday and doesn’t quite fit in the Classic Label punch so I had to fussy cut it.  However, I was making two of these cards and was determined not to be beaten so I stamped the sentiment again, this time stamping one word at a time and… ta-da!… it can now be punched out with the Classic Label punch.

Images © 2021 Stampin’ Up!

Blended Bunnies

We don’t usually send many Easter cards but with the mad year we’ve had and not being able to see people in person for so long, it seemed a good way to let people know we’re thinking of them.  Since I don’t have a lot of use for Easter cards, I only have one stamp set and that has been sent to everyone already so I needed some fresh material! Hello Cricut! I found a free SVG file from Craft House, cut out some bunnies and tails and created this card.

Whilst weeding the vinyl and seeing the outline of the bunnies, it occurred to me that I could make a stencil of the bunnies.  So, I created multiple bunnies in Design Space, arranged and sized them for my card and cut out two stencils from acetate – one for the bunnies and one for the tails!

Using my new blending brushes, I added pastel colours to the bunnies through the stencil.

Once the bunnies were complete, I added the tails using white pigment ink.  Unfortunately, this didn’t show up as much as I thought it would so I went over the tails again and added white embossing powder which, when heat set, showed up much better.  Embossing paste would probably work well too.

One of my cards was an ombre and on the other, I tried to colour each bunny separately. Some of the ink did get onto the adjacent bunnies but they still look OK.

Inspired by the bunny stencil, I then made another stencil, this time of Easter eggs and blended the same colours into the gaps.

For added decoration, I used my white gel pen to make simple patterns on the eggs.

This stencil had a nice gap in which to stamp the greeting.

I’m so happy with how these cards turned out and I love the blended pastel colours too!

Fancy Fold: Triple Step Card

I saw this design on Pinterest whilst searching for fancy fold ideas.  As both cards I saw were on foreign websites, I couldn’t get the name of the design so I’ve called mine the Triple Step Card as I think it looks like 3 steps!

I’ve made a template so I can remember what to do in future! It’s in inches but if you wanted to use cm and an A4 piece of card, cut the card base to 22½cm x 13½cm and instead of 2”, cut and score at 4½cm intervals.  Actually, the metric sized card would probably fit in a shop bought 6” square envelope – mine was a bit tight!

For added interest, I wanted to add mats and layers to decorate my card.  My cut pieces were as follows:

Top layers: two 3½” x 3½” and seven 1½” x 1½” pieces

Mat layers: two 3¾” x 3¾” and seven 1¾” x 1¾” pieces

To begin, I stamped my images using Versamark and added white embossing powder before setting with my heat gun.  I used the SU! Hand Drawn Blooms stamp and Crumb Cake card.

After stamping, I used coloured pencils to add some colour to the bigger flowers and leaves.  I didn’t worry about fully colouring everything, just the odd splash of colour here and there.  I used a sponge dauber to add a bit of ink to the edges of the pieces, to give an antiqued look, before mounting on the white mat layers.

My card base was Blushing Bride and I added a panel onto the back for space to write my message.

The final job was to adhere the panels onto the card base.  I felt that the bow didn’t really stand out very well so I added some white twine and a bow to finish and a few rhinestones onto the main panel.

It was only when I’d finished that I realised it was a bit of a squeeze to get the card into my square envelope so I used my envelope punch board and some DSP so make an envelope that would accommodate the card comfortably.

I love the decorative nature of 3D cards – they make a real statement!

Images © 2021 Stampin’ Up!