Fabulous Foiling

Recently, my Mum has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.  The doctor said that learning new things could be good for her so I invited her and my sister round to make some Christmas cards.  My mojo is still not in full flow so I wanted to something relatively easy so decided to try out a new product I’d bought to make some foiled cards.

We started by blending a variety of Distress Oxides to make the background for our snowflakes.  After blending, the card was spritzed with some water to create the distressed look.

Next, the Newton’s Nook Snowfall stencil was taped in place before applying a thin layer of Deco Foil Transfer Gel Duo.  The stencil was removed and the gel left to dry, when it will be clear but it is still sticky. 

The duo part of this gel means that it can be used to foil either the usual way with heat in a laminator or by pressure using a die cutting machine.  For the snowflakes, I used the pressure method.  The foil was placed on top of the card and then run through my Big Shot.   I was very excited when I first peeled off the foil to reveal uber-shiny silver snowflakes on the background!  So pretty!

I wanted the snowflake panels to be the focus of the cards so simply added a sentiment.

For the snowflakes, I used Cricut foil so I wanted to try out some proper Deco Foil to see if that was any different.  I tried this out with the Newton’s Nook Holiday Foliage stencil and Deco Foil in a gold and green mix.  To asses the different finish between using pressure or heat, I did one of each with these panels. 

The one on the left is the heated foil, the pressure foil on the right. The heated one has a smoother finish.

Again, I left these panels as the focal images on the card and just added a small sentiment.

I really love the shine on these cards and enjoyed showing my Mum and sister how to make them – and they had fun too!

Musing Mouch

This week’s post is inspired by another YouTube video for Lavinia stamps, this one by Eileen Godwin.  The main feature of the card is the silhouette of the cat, Mooch; I just love him!

To begin, I used my brushes and a combination of grey and pink inks and the Lavinia Charming stencil.

I was aiming for a rough heart shape.

Next, I stamped mooch using Versafine Clair Nocturne ink.

Lastly, I added the Star Cluster, also from Lavinia around Mooch’s head.  I realised that this stage that the layout of the card didn’t sit quite right so I added some text using Inkylicious Background Text stamp and a Stampin’ Up! sentiment.  This panel was then mounted on a cream 4” square card base.

For the other card, I kept it simple and just cut it down into a smaller square and layered onto a pink mat.

Which do you prefer? I think the second, simpler one is my favourite.

Dreamy Dandelions

I’ve not been well for the past 6 weeks or so and as a result, my creative mojo has disappeared.   When I’m empty of ideas, I use other crafters on YouTube to inspire me.  These cards were inspired by Jo Rice’s tutorial for Lavinia Stamps – a recent, new find for me; they have some beautiful stamping goodies!

To begin, I stamped the dandelions around two diagonally opposite corners in black ink.  I used Versafine Clair in Nocturne for the first time and I love the intense black of this ink.

Next, I added a touch of colour by stencilling gently with some pale blue ink.

To finish, I added a sentiment and heat embossed with some clear powder.  I also added a few tiny dots of glue onto the dandelions and sprinkled on some glitter, although you can’t really see this on the photo.

I’ve also been trying out Distress Oxide inks so for my second card, I did the stencilling first as using Oxide ink over stamps, the ink sits on top as it’s quite opaque.

Stamping over Distress Oxides also produces strange results as the Oxide ink reacts with the moisture in the black ink.  I’m still learning the best ways to use the Oxide inks but I do love their soft, chalky finish.  The sentiment on this is a great one from Inkylicious.

I had intended my second card to be a slimline (DL) card but I dropped the inked stamp on one end so had to chop it down and mat and layer it to a C6 size instead.