Slider Pop-Up

This week’s post features a great interactive card, the slider pop-up.  It does what it says on the tin – you slide it and it pops up!  I made this following using a Jennifer McGuire YouTube tutorial for the mechanism and MFT Make A Wish stamps and dies.

First, I cut my card base and layers.  My white layer is the same size as the card front and the checked DSP is ⅜” smaller.  Into the white and checked pieces, I cut a flap, that will be the pop-up element, using my paper trimmer. Another option for this is to use a rectangle die and partial die cutting.  I scored the remaining side of the rectangle and also across the middle of the flap. I cut a hole in the checked piece to make a frame.

After embossing the sentiment, I glued the check DSP onto the white layer before marking the opening of the flap onto the front of the card base. 

This line is to show where to stamp the inside element.  I went for a fun phrase that I had to mask.  The sentiment is quite wide so I stamped in sections, masking out the parts I didn’t want using post-it notes.

The next job was to finish the card front.  I die cut some candles from fancy paper which I glued to white card candles to make them sturdy.  The candles were completed by adding yellow flames and small hearts for the base of the flame.  The centre candles were only glued to the portion of the flap below the fold line to allow them to pop-up.  I also added another sentiment on a flagged banner, only attached to the central candles.

Next was to make the pull tab for the pop up.  This is a piece of card ¾” wider than the window opening and slightly longer than the card, scored at ½” along one of the short edges.  I marked the width of the window opening and trimmed the excess card on the corners of the folded section, then applied adhesive and glued this onto the back of the front flap.

The pull tab is on the left and the folding pop-up section is on the right

Once the slider tab is pulled, some of the tab will be visible so can be decorated.  I stamped some more candles on this, rounded the corners and wrote ‘PULL’ on the top. 

Whilst I was stamping candles, I stamped one on the envelope and onto the card liner.

The final stage is to assemble the card.  Jennifer uses foam tape but I didn’t have any so I applied 3 layers of adhesive tape which seemed enough to create the channel for the tab to slide through.

Here is the finished card…

And when the slide is pulled…

Papa Bear

Today is Father’s Day in the UK so I’m sharing my cards that I made for my Dad and Father-in-Law.  I wanted to use the cute bear from the stamp set ‘Happy Day’ from the Colorado Craft Company – I thought it’d be a great focal image for a masculine card.

First, I stamped the bears using Versafine black ink, which is waterproof once it’s dry, and then water-coloured them.  One was a hairy bear, the other a more smooth coated bear!  I cut them down into slim panels.

Next was my mat layer and background for my bear panels.  I used Stampin’ Up! Snow Front and Waterfront stamp sets to create the mountain and forest backgrounds.  Whilst these are a different illustrative style to the bear, they fit nicely with the bear’s habitat.

For my sentiment, I used Lawn Fawn’s Happy Happy Happy, heat embossed with copper powder.  I triple stacked the ‘happy’ die cuts for a little extra dimension.

Here are my final cards.  I stamped the card liner and envelope with the tree stamp and added a gold rhinestone onto the centre on the flower.

A Wedding Honour

Towards the end of last year, my friend asked me if I would help her with her wedding invitations.  I was really honoured to be asked! She and her fiancé didn’t really have any ideas with regard to the style of invitations but that their wedding colour would be purple.  After trawling Pinterest to see what is fashionable now, I made 8 invitations for the couple to choose from.  Some were stamped, some were from Cricut’s project library and some I designed from scratch.  I was so chuffed when they chose my own design.

My design was based on the bride and groom’s initials and an ampersand, all woven together.  I used my Cricut to cut these out of purple card and also cut out the initials themselves from silver card.

Since the card would be a gatefold, I wanted a belly band to hold the card closed.  This was decorated with a glitter heart and some purple and white ribbon.

The wording for the inside was done on the computer and printed out.  After being cut to size, I heat embossed a repeating silver leaf pattern all around the edge.

The envelopes had the same silver leaf embossing to match.

The back of each gate was covered with a piece of velum and the initials glued onto the front.

It was quite a nerve-wracking experience making these invitations – even more so than when Mr L and I made our own – I don’t think I’ll be going into the wedding invitations business any time soon!!  However, I love the fact that the bride and groom have their very own unique and personal invitations to send to their guests.  And that makes me happy! 😊