Jigsaw Love

It was my parent’s wedding anniversary last week.  They are avid jigsaw doers so we bought them a couple of new ones, one of which is Van Gogh’s The Starry Night.  That will keep them busy a while!

To coordinate with their gifts, I decided on a jigsaw-based card.  I’ve made similar cards with hearts as the bride and groom.  I used my Cricut to cut out the pieces.

For the ‘bride’, I dry embossed the piece and added a pearl necklace before gluing the 4 pieces together.

For the ‘groom’ I chopped off the bobble, then cut down the centre and folded back the two triangles to form the lapels of the jacket.  I drew on the buttons with a white gel pen and the bow-tie is a small piece of ribbon with a knot tied in it. The pieces were glued together, adding in a white layer for the shirt.

I like clean and simple background for these style cards so I simply scored a frame from the reverse and then added my greeting using black ink and clear embossing powder.  I prefer this to black embossing powder as I think it gives a sharper image.  This was mounted on a black mat layer.

Finally, I adhered the jigsaw pieces onto the card using some thin foam squares.

Fancy Fold: The Bridge Fold

I do love a fancy fold card.  They always look impressive and aren’t always as tricky to make as you’d think.  This week’s design is called the bridge fold and was made for friends who have just moved into a new home.  It folds flat to fit inside a square envelope and can be simple or a little more complicated with an extra layer to add more dimension.

To begin, I cut a 5¾” x 6” square and with the 6” length at the top of the score board, scored at 1”, 2”, 4” and 5”.  I added some very old DSP depicting country scenes in navy and white as this really popped with the lime green card base.

Next, I die cut some hills, trees, grass, a house and a card and stamped my house with the greeting.

My middle layer was cut to just under 5” and score at ½” at each end. I arranged the house, car and trees and the glued it into place, folding the lugs backwards.

The ‘bridge’ section was built by adding some trees and then finally the grass, which I raised on foam squares for some extra dimension.  This was glued onto the side panels on the front of the card.

The shot from above shows the 3D nature of this card…

…but looks even better from the front!

Images © 2021 Stampin’ Up!

Valentine Watercolour

I’ve been painting this week; a Valentine’s card for Mr L and an actual picture! There are some wonderful YouTube tutorials available for beginner painters and I’m a big fan of Karen Rice’s paintings, style and teaching.

My card was a line and wash using another Anita Jeram stamp.  Those rabbits are so cute! I lifted out the paint in the sky to create the heart shaped clouds.

When I die cut the panel, I had to use the partial die cutting technique and the die marked the panel so I had to add the ribbon, which unfortunately hides most of the cloud. 

I decorated the envelope using a white gel pen.

My painting was done following Karen Rice’s Silver Birch Trees Step By Step video.  I was first drawn to this particular tutorial because there’s no drawing involved.  The trees are masked using strips of tape (I used framing tape) and then the first stage of painting is done over the top. 

There are some fun techniques to try during the painting.  Here’s a close up of the salt starting to do it’s magic, creating the spidery textures, and the grasses created by scraping the paint with the corner of a plastic card.

Once the paint had dried, I brushed off the salt and added some spatters in white and yellow for impressions of wild flowers.  When this was dry, I removed the tape to reveal my trees.

The next stage was to bring the trees to life.  First, the dark marks on the trunks were added in a random pattern, which I found is actually harder than it seems. When they were dry, I added the shadows to the right side of the trunks to indicate that the light is coming from the left.  I inadvertently did some dry brush technique, which really helped to add texture to the trunks. The last task was to add some grasses to soften the hard edges at the bottom of the trunks.  

I really enjoyed doing this painting and trying out the fun techniques along the way.