Happy New Home

This week, my sister and brother-in-law moved from 120 miles away to ‘cup-of-tea distance’ (7 miles) away!  I haven’t lived this close to my sister for just over 30 years so I’m very happy indeed to have her nearby again.  This week’s post is the new home card that I made for them.

To begin, I cut a house from the Home Together die set a couple of times together with a panel to fit behind the heart hole.  I glued these layers together and added a red glitter heart into the hole.

Next was my background and I used the Detailed Hearts die.  I cut one in white and another in Smoky Slate as I wanted to inlay some of the hearts with white and grey.  This die cuts out loads of hearts – handy for a shaker card!

My greeting was next.  I have no ‘new home’ sentiment stamps and the home related ones I do have say Congrats.  Eugh! – I hate Congrats!!  So, I’d have to make my own.  I wanted to say ‘Happy New Home’ so I used the happy from a happy birthday die.  A quick tip for die cutting.  I’ve had this die for many years.  The more modern dies seem to release easier but this one holds on to the card so well that the cut-out often rips when trying to get it out of the die.  If you have dies like this, add a layer of wax paper between the die and the card and it will release much easier.

For my sentiment panel, I cut out a small rectangle, rounded the corners, adhered the glitter ‘happy’ and then wrote in ‘new home’.  I then glued the house onto the rectangle.

The heart panel was mounted onto a grey card base and the sentiment popped up on foam dimensionals with some silver thread underneath.

Lost Socks?

Mr L and I each have separate wash baskets and do our own washing.  Now, one of Mr L’s special skills is losing his socks in the wash.  He always has a selection of odd socks lying on top of his sock drawer so I thought I’d make him this lost sock organiser for a fun birthday present.   Now, as I had left it until the last minute to decide to make this, I couldn’t paint a piece of wood as there wasn’t time for the coats of paint to dry.  So, instead I decided to cover the board with fabric.

First, I cut out my words in heat transfer vinyl.  After a few false starts, namely forgetting to weld the letters so the cursive words came out as a single piece and then forgetting to mirror the cut so the letters would be the correct way round to be stuck on, I finally got the words cut.  I used my cutting mat to align them and ensure they were level before using my Cricut Heat Press to stick them onto the fabric.

The next job was to prepare the board.  I glued two layers of wadding onto the board before gluing my main fabric on top.  Then I tuned the board over, folded in the raw edges and tacked the fabric to the board using my staple gun, pulling the edges taut around the board.

The last job was to mark the locations for the pegs.  I used a heat erasable pen and my T-square ruler for this before attaching the pegs with my hot glue gun.   The advantage of the heat erasable pen is that when my lines turned out to be longer than my pegs, I could easily remove the marks by lightly rubbing the (clean!) hot nozzle of my hot glue gun over the fabric.  I could have used a hot iron too.

Here’s the finished article.  Mr L loves it!  It made him laugh when he opened it, he’s just concerned that it doesn’t have enough pegs!!

A Winter Cake

Happy 2021! We made it through 2020 and have emerged into a brand-new year.  Have you made any resolutions? My resolution for this year is to be kind to myself.  I’m a bit of a perfectionist and that leads to me being my own very harsh critic – so I’m now working on not being!  The other thing I intend to focus on is to enjoy whatever it is I’m doing, even if I can’t create a masterpiece. 

With that in mind, this week’s post is a Winter Cake.  You may have heard them called Christmas cakes but if they’re not finished until January, it’s a Winter Cake!  It’s true!! With all the food we had to be eaten by less people due to the late Tier change rules, we really didn’t need the cake.  However, we’ve now ploughed our way through the festive goodies and so it was time for the cake to make an appearance. I made the fruit cake way back in October using Nigella Lawson’s Boozy Christmas cake recipe.  I also used a cake belt for the first time.  It was genius! The cake rose evenly whilst baking and a cake with a perfectly level top emerged from the oven.  I hate marzipan so I just went straight in with some fondant icing and covered the cake.  I would normally ice the board too but I hadn’t bought enough fondant.

I went for a snowflake theme since the weather is chilly at the moment and cut out a load of snowflakes in different sizes with my handy cutters.

Using vodka as adhesive, I stuck the snowflakes onto the cake in a random fashion and added a few around the board too.  I mixed up some icing and piped dots in between the flakes and then finished with a blast of edible pearlized spray to give a glittery look. 

All that’s left now is to eat it! Mr L’s birthday is in early January so our healthy eating doesn’t begin until after that – very handy indeed!