Frosted Floral Farewell

It’s time for the new Stampin’ Up! catalogue and I’m sad to say that a lot of my favourites are out ☹ Two of my faves are the First Frost stamp set and coordinating Frosted Bouquet dies.  Whilst these will be disappearing from the catalogue, they’ll not be leaving my personal collection any time soon.  There are two cards on the post this week, the second one was inspired by the liner of the first! Just goes to show that inspiration comes from all sorts of places.

First, I stamped and die cut a selection of flower and leaf images and heat embossed the sentiment on a pretty label punch.

Elements from First Frost

I repeat stamped the thistle image on a Mint Macaron card front and dry embossed with the Layered Leaves.  At this point, I realised that the card base wouldn’t be sturdy enough so I cut it down to make the front panel of my card.

Mint Macaron card and ink.

The next job was to arrange the flowers and foliage elements around the sentiment to create my focal image.

I stamped the liner and envelope by stamping the flower and then masked the flower to stamp the leaf image.

To break up the card front, I attached a strip of burlap ribbon onto a strip of Lovely Lipstick and then mounted the focal on top.  The panel was then mounted onto a Lovely Lipstick card base to make a very colourful creation.

Whilst I was making the liner for the above card, I really liked the liner so decided to make a card using that design. I repeat stamped the flower and then masked the images whilst I stamped the foliage between.  To finish, I added a few rhinestones.

Unfortunately, when I posted these two cards, the minute I’d dropped them in the postbox, I realised that I forgot to put stamps on the envelopes.  Doh!

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!

Britannic Bunting!

To celebrate VE Day earlier this month, I wanted to put up some bunting even though we were not doing any actual celebrations.  I went to get the bunting from storage and realised that my Mum-in-law still has it – she has it on permanent loan for WI purposes!  Since I didn’t view bunting collection as being a critical journey during lockdown, I set about making some more.  As I wanted a patriotic look, I rifled through my fabric collection and pulled out all fabrics that had red, white or blue in them – most were offcuts from clothing or other sewing projects – and set to work. 

First job is to make a cardboard template for the flag size.  You can make the flags whatever size you like – mine were 6” x 7½”.  I also cut out a 2” cardboard spacer although you can put the flags next to each other if you prefer.  After drawing around the flags, I cut them out using pinking shears, which have a zig-zag edge so prevent the fabric from fraying.  I cut the top edge with regular scissors as a reminder as to which edge I needed to sew.  It’s easy to get confused when you’re head down in the sewing machine!

I used double fold bias binding to attach my flags.  Once the binding was opened up, the flag was laid inside with the top edge against the centre fold, the binding folded over and then stitched along the edge of the binding.  After laying the spacer alongside, I then positioned the next flag and stitched that in place. Repeat for as long as you want your bunting to be.

I made two lengths; one each for upstairs and downstairs.

This is a great project to repurpose old clothing or bedding.  It’s also very straightforward and quite quick to do making it ideal for beginners or children.   So, jazz up your lockdown celebration with some unique bunting!

 

 

 

Rainbow Leaves     

There are lots of rainbows around at the moment, not the meteorological kind but ones created to celebrate the work of the NHS during the pandemic.  This made me think of doing a rainbow-themed card for my blog this week.  I used the leaf cluster from Rooted in Nature as my feature image whilst the large sentiment from the same set was the focal point.

To begin, I stamped the sentiment just left of centre.

Next, I stamped the leaf image seven times, changing between the rainbow colours each time.

Since I had decided to use a Pacific Point card base, I decorated the liner and envelope with the leaves stamped in the same colour.

To complete the card, the front panel was mounted on a black layer before being adhered to the card base.

 

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!