Mr L’s parents are going on a cruise over Christmas and New Year. Since they won’t be at home, they won’t have a Christmas tree so I decided to make them a card with a dimensional tree on it so they have a little Christmas tree in their cabin over the festive season. Whilst surfing around on YouTube, I watched a great video by Jan Brown (link at the end) on how to make a tree using a teabag folding technique. I’ve never done any teabag folding so I decided to CASE Jan’s card and give teabag folding a go.
I started by cutting out 5 squares of patterned paper (I used Stampin’ Up! First Frost DSP) comprising squares of 1½”, 2”, 2½”, 3” and 3½”. Since the DSP is only 6” square, I had to use two sheets so went with 2 different patterns.
The next step was to fold each piece in half once, and then on each diagonal. The first folds go down to make valley folds and the diagonal folds push up into mountain folds.
The side folds were pushed inwards to make a triangular shape.
Next, I folded the points of the front triangle downwards, lining up the top edge of the triangle with the centreline.
Once all the pieces were folded, the pieces were glued together by inserting the point of the triangle into the next size down to form the tree shape. I mounted the tree onto a Real Red card base, embellished with some heat embossed snowflakes and a wavy sentiment. A ribbon bow finished off the top of the tree.
A couple of quick cards this week made using Stampin’ Up! Brightly Gleaming set. I wanted to create some clean and simple style cards predominantly using white and metallics.
First, I stamped two of the bauble images twice, embossed each pair in gold and silver and cut them out using the matching punches. For my backgrounds, I wanted some texture so I embossed my card using the long-retired pine bough folder.
Next, I cut some strips of gold and silver glitter card to edge my card fronts and liners and heat embossed the sentiment from the set.
I heat embossed the smaller decoration onto the envelope and the liner and stuck the liner into the card base, adding the glitter strips to the edges.
I repeated the glitter edging on the card front pieces.
The last job was to add foam dimensionals to adhere the baubles and sentiments.
The resulting cards were simple but elegant that I’d be happy to have on my mantlepiece.
It’s been quite a hectic week for me this week. After returning relaxed and refreshed from my holiday the previous week, this one has been full on. It started with a trip to see a consultant about my arm. We are possibly a stage closer to getting the problem sorted in that the consultant believes that the root cause of my arm pain is actually in my neck. A course of anti-inflammatory meds and a comprehensive neck mobilisation exercise routine are now under way. Fingers crossed this will resolve the problem.
I have been at work nearly all week and when I wasn’t, I was in my craft room making stuff for the charity craft event yesterday. Mr L decided to come along to help at the craft event which made it much more fun for me. I was really pleased with our stall and even more pleased with the £55 profit we made, all of which we donated to The Cat Welfare Group.
One of my projects this week involved using Stampin’ Up! Pigment Sprinkles. I sprinkled some of the powders onto watercolour paper and then spritzed with lots of water mixed with a few drops of Shimmer Paint. It looked a right mess when it was wet, as you can see!
The colours muted a lot once they’d dried and I used the Pine Tree punch to make toppers for my tags.
I decided to use craft card for the background since the tree colours are not very traditional and I thought the craft brown worked better with the trees. I stamped a variety of snowflakes randomly on the card in Crumb Cake ink. Next was to trim the pieces into 2” strips and make the holes with the Scalloped Tag Topper Punch.
I heat embossed the sentiment on white card for the snow using copper and gold embossing powder and glued these to the bottom of the tags. Lastly the trees were stuck on using Dimensionals and some twine added.
I used gold glimmer paper to make another set in the same way.
Another variation on the same theme, these cards used the last of the pigmented paper trees and also some gold and black glimmer paper.
Non-traditional but sometimes it’s good to go a little ‘off-piste’!